Saturday, May 14, 2011

Angel Trumpet

Angel Trumpet is a tropical tree with fragrant prolific large flowers.  Larger varieties where the flowers hang straight down are called Brugmansia, smaller varieties with flowers that face outward or up are called Datura.  I ordered a yellow Datura from a nursery last year.  First planted in a container garden in full sun, it grew, but the Angel Trumpet had yellow leaves which kept falling off.  After investigating for the usual problems, spider mites and overwatering, I decided to plant the Angel Trumpet into the garden soil.  The Angel Trumpet took off!  No more yellow leaves, no more slow growth. But no blooms....

Last fall, as I was bringing all of my plants in to overwinter I made the decision that it was not worth the space in my southern window for this non-performer.  Then one day in late October, it looked like this!


Needless to say, I researched the Angel Trumpet again on the Internet and discovered that the Brugsmansia and Datura do not bloom until it has formed 'Y's with its branches.  Once this happens it is sufficiently mature to bloom.

To overwinter the Angel Trumpet, I trimmed back the plant to just above the Y's in the branches and brought it inside.  It survived the winter with a few leaves and no blooms.  I put it in a northern window and did not give it any fertilizer.



This picture was taken this spring after it has been outside for 3 weeks.  You can see the Y's from last years growth that I preserved when I pruned it before overwintering the Datura.  You can also see the new growth that has started in the last three weeks.  It will be fun to see if it blooms again this year.  I have placed it into a container garden pot because I want it to perfume the sitting area on the deck in the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment